Using Workflow to Launch Spotify Playlists

For as long as I’ve owned an iPhone, a music app has occupied the fourth spot on my dock and for nearly as long, that app has been Spotify. Those who saw my last post about what’s on my homescreen will notice it’s been removed from the dock. That’s because I have an even easier way to use access Spotify.

After dipping my toes in some Workflow ummm… workflows?… I started playing around with other things I could do which lead me to my Spotify workflow. Spotify lived in my dock primarily so I could have quick access to one of the few playlists I listen to while driving, but the app isn’t as intuitive as I’d like so I usually ended up fumbling around. That all changed with one simple workflow that I can access from a Today widget.

Image-1

Tapping on “Open a Playlist” gives me access to my top three playlists from anywhere on my phone simply by swiping down. Even better, it was a breeze to set up because Spotify allows you to copy the deep link directly from the app (either the Mac version or iOS version). You can modify the workflow for yourself by going the the album or playlist and clicking the three dots to access the Share menu where you’ll have the option to “Copy the Playlist Link”. Once you have the link, you’ll need to modify it a bit so that it opens the Spotify app rather than Safari. Your link should look something like this (minus the quotes):

"spotify:user:yourusername:playlist:playlistcode"

I’m toying with the idea of adding a 4th option to search Spotify entirely, but for now this has been sufficient. It’s also a heck of a lot simpler than fumbling through Spotify’s unintuitive app layout.

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Using Workflow to Launch Spotify Playlists

1. choreezy says:

Hey there! I tried out your workflow and I was able to enter my playlist urls and make it work when I open the workflow app in IOS 10. But when I try to run the workflow from the today window it doesn’t open spotify….any idea why? Thanks!

• Andrea says:

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. I tried downloading a new copy of the workflow from this post, and it launched fine. The only thing I ran into is that you need to run it from inside the workflow app first, otherwise the widget will show a message asking you if you’re sure you want to run it and only give a cancel option. You may want to double-check that your playlist URL is correct. Hope that helps.

2. muddyflanker says:

Nice trick. Been thinking about this for a while and you saved me having to work out the URL format. Thanks.
    Maybe in time Spotify will get a full workflow API, then could possibly link with Siri/Shazam and add anything you here to the playlist with one tap.

• Andrea says:

I’m so glad you found it helpful. Some sort of API to add anything with one tap would be incredible. Fingers crossed Spotify has that in the works for the future. You never know!

3. Norwin says:

Ai, happy someone found out how this works!!!

Ideas:
    Is it possible to open my playlists directly without choosing one?

Would be great to get a workflow that shazams a song and adds it automatically to a given spotify list. Any ideas?

• Andrea says:

You should be able to just use the playlist URL directly. I added the menu purely to pick playlists.

No idea about the Shazam idea though as I don’t use it.